Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Stuffed Shells Recipe

This is an excellent recipe given to me years ago by my friend, Lynn.  It's super easy to make, a nice change from spaghetti, and freezes well!  If you are a vegetarian, this recipe is for you.  I am not a vegetarian, but I sure do respect the discipline of one!  Enjoy!

1 package (9 oz.) creamed spinach, defrosted
1 box of large shells
1 tub (15 oz) Ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I use the kind from a can)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 jar spaghetti sauce (I love Newman's Own Marinara)

Combine: creamed spinach, cheeses, egg, and seasonings in large bowl.
Cook shells according to package.
Pour most of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Save remaining sauce to drizzle over the top of the shells before cooking.
Put cheese mixture into a gallon sized Ziploc bag and snip a bottom corner, so you can pipe the mixture into the shells.
Fill as many shells as possible.  (You will have some unused shells.)
Drizzle remaining sauce over shells and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.  (I like the shredded kind for this part because it looks nice.)
Bake: 350* F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.




I am thankful that I am married to someone who gladly eats leftovers.  It makes life easier for me and is easy on the wallet too!  This recipe feeds our family for two meals, and I usually have enough to freeze for one more meal to enjoy at a later date.  Of course, this won't always be the case as my young children's appetite grows!



This is my precious little one; my budding chef.  Leah helps me in the kitchen almost every day.  She is definitely a "foodie" and will try almost anything.  She made the cheese filling for the stuffed shells. 

No comments:

Post a Comment