Friday, April 22, 2011

Joy's Stromboli


In college, I was known as the girl who could make homemade stromboli, dough and all.  In fact, it was the very first thing I made for my husband's mom when we were dating while attending Ohio University.  I remember impressing her by shredding my own mozzarella and baking with yeast.  And although I love my recipe for stromboli, sometimes you can have too much of a good thing; and that is exactly what happened with my husband and my stromboli.  Now I bake a new version given to me by one of my best friends, Joy.  Let me tell you, change is good.

Enjoy!

Joy's Stromboli

* I double this recipe.

1 loaf frozen Rhodes bread dough (lay out 7-8 hours on a greased cookie sheet, rub dough with oil and cover with cling wrap and a towel)
2 egg yolks, reserve the whites
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 pepper
2 tablespoons oil
pizza sauce, for dipping

My Favorite Toppings:
mozzarella
pepperoni
red bell peppers
red onions
fresh mushrooms

Directions:
Punch down bread dough and spread out on cookie sheet like a rectangular pizza crust.  Mix the next 7 ingredients and spread on dough like butter.  Cover with cheese and toppings.  Roll like a jelly roll, place seem down on cookie sheet and tuck in ends.  Brush with scrambled egg white.  Bake at 350* F for 30-40 minutes.  Slice and serve with pizza sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment