Thursday, March 7, 2013

Garden Markers



I have always liked unique garden markers, but being the frugal person that I am, I could never justify paying a lot of money for them.  I am always on the look out for whimsical, DIY garden markers when I came across this idea a year ago.  I would link you to the original source, but I can no longer find it.  The original version of these were made with twigs.  However, I chose to use bamboo, thanks to the suggestion of my aunt, who pointed out that sticks would rot much faster.  They also make great gift markers in a garden basket or pot.  I put one in my mom's Mother's Day gift. I also made burlap gift bags filled with herb markers for end-of-the-year teacher gifts with tags that read, "Thanks for helping me grow!"


 

Here's the How-to:
Using pruners, cut 5 foot bamboo sticks to the desired height.  I think mine were 15 inches or so.
Print out labels and cut out with a 1 inch circle punch.
Modge Podge your label to a flat marble and smooth out with your fingers.  (You'll need two marbles for each marker so that you can read it from either side). Allow to dry.
Hot glue two labeled marbles together, and then hot glue the seam of the two marbles to seal it from water and then wrap twine around the marbles while the glue is still hot.
Next, hot glue the marbles onto the top of a precut bamboo stick, and let it rest.
To secure the marbles better, take a couple of twine pieces about six inches long and hot glue them onto the top of the marble, down the sides and onto the bamboo.
The last step is to hot glue below the marble on the bamboo stick, wrapping twine around it and up to marble.  You kind of want to create a cone with the twine, which again gives more support to the marbles. 
TaDah!

No comments:

Post a Comment