Monday, May 16, 2011

Honey Chipotle Roasted Nuts

One of my friends, Cara, asked if me if I prefer savory or sweet foods.  I am definitely a savory food eater and would 99% of the time choose a delicious, savory meal over a sweet, sugar-inducing coma dessert.  But let's be honest, in a perfect world, I would probably have both.  So where do snacks fit into all of this?  Well for me, it's every couple of hours before or after a meal, and this recipe for Honey Chipotle Roasted Nuts is definitely a savory snack.  Why? Because it is both sweet and spicy at the same time and provides your body with protein, which is the only nutritious thing about this tasty treat.  OH WELL!  Enjoy!

And one more thing before I forget, I just recently learned from my Aunt Sue, that you should keep any red colored seasoning in the refrigerator such as Chili Powder, Chipotle Chili Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika and so on.  It helps to maintain the flavor longer.


This recipe was given to me by my aunt's friend, Lynda.

Honey Chipotle Roasted Nuts

2/3 cup sugar
2-3 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder *
1/2-1 teaspoon Chili Powder *
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons honey
2 pounds roasted cashews (or any favorite nut)

Preheat oven to 325*F.  Stir together sugar, Chipotle Chili Powder and Chili Powder in small bowl and set aside.  Melt butter and honey in a large saucepan over medium heat until butter mixture is bubbly.  Stir in the nuts until well coated, then pour out on to a large baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven until the nuts are golden brown, about 15-25 minutes.  Stir the mixture 2-3 times to ensure even cooking.  Once done, scrape nuts into a large metal bowl and sprinkle with the spice mixture.  Toss the nuts to evenly coat.  Allow the nuts to cool to room temperature, tossing every few minutes so the nuts do not stick together.

* I prefer being on the generous side with the seasonings.


I found an air-tight glass jar at Tuesday Morning with a vintage vinyl number 1 on it for only $3.99.  For an end-of-the-year teacher gift, I plan to fill it with these savory nuts, give it to Thomas' kindergarten teacher with an attached note that says, "We think you are NUMBER 1 and we were NUTS over you!  Thanks for making kindergarten so special!"  (Mrs. Wilson is truly one the world's greatest teachers!)  I will post a picture of this gift at the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment