Monday, May 16, 2011

Antique Chic Desk

While visiting my sister for a girls' weekend last summer in Connecticut, we went treasure hunting at tag sales.  I stumbled upon this beauty:


I took this "before" picture after I had taken off the gunked up brass drawer pulls, but I am sure you can imagine the sorry state they were in.  I love the eclectic look of distressed furniture and things, and enjoy decorating by mixing pieces that are rustic (or in this case distressed) with with things that are shiny, like the satin nickel drawer pulls I added on for the finishing touch. 

After filling in the holes from the old, gross hardware, I sanded the desk down and painted it with left over paint I used in our master bathroom (Silver Sage by Restoration Hardware).  It was nice not spending a dime on more paint!  I also dry brushed a dark walnut stain over the paint, but it went on way too dark.  So, after the stain dried, I dry brushed on more Silver Sage.  I finished the desk by adding a coat of semi-gloss polyurethane and new "polished" hardware.  I love the end results!





You may have noticed that I do not have a desk chair in my pictures, and that's because I am still on the hunt for one.  I am hoping to find a fun and funky parsons chair at TJ Maxx or somewhere like that.  Overall, my style is very eclectic, combined with touches of traditional and modern, but the way to pull off an eclectic look is that every piece needs to be able to hold it's own (visually) in a space.  That is why I can get away with using a chair from a different era. 
I am looking forward to finishing up this front room/sitting room/tiny home office/entry way or whatever-you-want-to-call-it room.!  Other future projects for this space include a DIY wall art of hanging glass vases filled with grass seed and natural elements (inspired by Arhaus and Pottery Barn), window treatments, pictures of my kids and dare I even say... a LIVE plant! 



No comments:

Post a Comment